Sunday 17th November was a mild although dull day. Due to the fact that the National Hill Climb had been rescheduled for the same day (Rob Bailey was on marshalling duty and Roy Aitken, Pete Levene and Rob Sharpe were spectating.) only a select group of five (Ann & Mike Workman, Richard Workman and Pam & Phil Fern) met up at Hulme End car park in Derbyshire.

We set off from the car park heading south along the old railway line where we missed our first 'junction'. We should have left the line at the first bend but missed it and had to retrace our steps. On finding the footpath we had a good excuse - the stile had collapsed and was not obvious. We clambered over the 'stile', headed up the hill and onto a ridge which gave splendid views across the Manifold Way.

We joined a minor road for a short distance before arriving on the 'outskirts' of Warslow. We had yet another semi collapsed stile (this time due to a falling tree) to navigate, a short walk across a field to a 'tied up' gate before following the footpath to the north side of Warslow. It would have been far easier, and quicker to walk through the village but far less fun.

After leaving the village and bearing left we joined a very muddy track. Walking on for a few hundred yards we took a sharp right, went up hill and crossed the road we had just left. Our walk then followed a well worn path onto Revidge where we stopped to admire the views and have a tea/coffee break. From here, looking east, we could see for miles beyond the cars parked at Hulme End and easily see Butterton and beyond to the south.

Flasks put away we dropped down from Revidge, past Cuckoostones to join a minor road. We had a short walk along the road to the pub, at Reapsmoor, which Ann had earmarked for lunch. 'The Butchers Arms' was a sight to behold. It didn't, at first glance, look as if it was open - there were a only a couple of cars in the car park. As there was nowhere else to go, we ventured in. Inside it looked as if it hadn't been decorated since the day it was first opened. Nevertheless, we found ourselves a table by a roaring fire and sat down to order our lunch. The Workman clan were intending eating out in the evening and opted for 'light lunches' - Ann chose burger and chips with salad (two burgers on her bun). Richard, Mike's brother had a plateful of Chicken Tikka. Mike went for the Gammon on a bun with chips & salad. Unfortunately the young lady taking the orders misheard Mike and brought him a full meal. The gammon was almost an inch thick and more than half filled the twelve inch diameter plate. Well done Mike for wading through it - we didn't think you'd do it. Phil had a plateful of fish & chips. My baked potato with cheese and a salad was in fact four baked potatoes (ok they were smaller than the average - but two would have been more than enough). We declined the offer of sweets!

Two stone heavier and almost two hours later we left The Butchers Arms (it's the sort of place that if you went back to look for it - it wouldn't exist!), crossed the road heading east past Knowles Farm to Brund Mill. Here we cut a corner to the very small community of Brund. A very interesting spot with the stone cottages, farms and outbuildings dating back to the 17th century. It was very evident that the gales from a couple of weeks before had wreaked havoc in the area with many fallen trees. On our next section of footpath we had to climb over one of these trees before we could make our way down to the River Manifold which we crossed via a small footbridge. We had a short walk back to the road which took us down to the car park (arriving back just as the light was beginning to go) and to the very welcome 'chocolate cake' which Richard had made specially for the 'walkers'. A very enjoyable walk in good company - thankyou Ann.

Pam Fern.