The Peace Memorial Trophy
At Alderley in April 1947 Harry Wilson, the donor, formally presented the Peace Memorial Trophy to the Club. There was no doubt from the way he spoke that of all the many services he has performed for the Club and the many generous gestures he has made to it, nothing has given him so much pleasure as presenting the Peace Memorial Trophy. In accepting the trophy on behalf of the Club, the President (Stan Wild) thanked Harry most sincerely, and expressed the pleasure of us all that Harry had himself chosen the trophy, and such a magnificent one it is too!
In april 1947 it was valued at 100 guineas. Its design is not dissimilar to the F.A. Cup. It is made of solid silver, weighing 70 ounces, and is decorated with 24 carat gold gilt which sets it off in a handsome fashion. The trophy rests on a double tiered ebony plinth containing 24 shields on which will be inscribed the winner of our open '50' each year. (This has, of course, since been modified to include more shields.)
The first winner was D.K. Hartley of the Dukinfield CC winner of the 1946 Open '50'. To read the names on all the shields is akin to reading a 'Who's Who' of Time Trialling. Those included are Bill Kinghorn , Keith Stacey (BAR), Geoff Mathieu, Roy Cromack, Dave Lloyd, Keith Boardman, Alan Roberts, Phil Griffiths, Chris Boardman MBE, and Andy Wilkinson. The current holder is Neil Skellern of Congleton CC who received the trophy at our annual dinner in March. In 1998 the Club promoted the National Championship '50' and the trophy was presented to joint winners Ian Gilkes and Richard Prebble.
The most prolific winners were Reuben Firth (Altrincham Ravens) and Alan Roberts (four different clubs) with four victories each. A complete list of winners can be found here.
The inscription on the Trophy reads: